Viewing 0 reply threads
  • Author
      Yomi
      Keymaster
      Topics: 2375
      Replies: 103

Marco Reus will leave Borussia Dortmund on a free transfer at the end of the season.

Reus has plied his trade at Signal Iduna Park for 12 years, but will not have his contract extended beyond this campaign.

The club said in a statement: “One of one. Marco Reus and Borussia Dortmund have reached a mutual understanding that his current contract will not be extended, as both parties will part ways this summer.

“Full focus will persist on the remaining league fixtures, alongside our unwavering commitment to fulfilling our dream in the UCL.”

Reus played in the Dortmund youth setup for ten years between 1995 and 2005, before returning to his boyhood club from Borussia Mönchengladbach in 2012.

He went on to become central to the team the reached the 2013 Champions League final and twice won the DFB-Pokal.

The 34-year-old, who donned the armband at Dormund between 2018 and 2023, has scored on 168 occasions and assisted a further 128 goals in his 424 appearances for the club so far.

Reus said: “I’m incredibly grateful for and proud of this special time at my club Borussia Dortmund.

“I have spent more than half of my life at this club and enjoyed every day, even though there have of course been difficult moments too.

“I already know now that I will find it difficult to say goodbye at the end of the season.

“And yet I’m happy that there is now clarity and that we can focus fully on the very important final games that we still have to play.

“We have a big objective in our sights that we all want to achieve together.

“To do so, we will need every single one of our unbelievable fans, to whom I would like to express my sincere thanks for their unbelievable support over the years.”

It is widely reported back in February that a number of unnamed MLS sides were keen to lure Reus to the United States.

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.