Home Forums English Premier League Manchester City Fans Manchester City confirm signing of Benfica goalkeeper Ederson for £34.7m

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 0 reply threads
  • Author
      Anonymous
      Inactive

Manchester City have confirmed the signing of the goalkeeper Ederson from Benfica. The 23-year-old Brazilian has cost €40m (£34.7m) and becomes Pep Guardiola’s second signing of the summer after the midfielder, Bernado Silva.

Ederson’s fee is a British record for a goalkeeper but is eclipsed by the €53m Juventus paid Parma for Gianluigi Buffon in 2001. He will formally join City on 1 July, when the transfer window opens.

“I like everything about Manchester City,” Ederson told the club’s website. “This is a great club, the league they have here in England and they have amazing fans and they play splendid football. I have always had the dream to play in English football and now I’m going to make it true.

“With Pep Guardiola, City are growing more and more. He is putting in place a young team for the future. Those were important factors in making my decision. Manchester City has an amazing squad. I think they managed to have a good season. Next season, we will have to be focused to achieve the goal of winning trophies.”

The signing of Ederson takes City’s contingent of Brazilians to four, joining Fernando, Fernandinho and Gabriel Jesus. The goalkeeper has played for Brazil at age-group level but not for the senior team. He was named in the provisional squad for last year’s Copa América but injury forced him out of the final reckoning.

Ederson, born in São Paulo state in Brazil, went to Benfica as a teenager but left to play for two smaller Portuguese clubs – Ribeirão and Rio Ave – before rejoining in 2015.

Guardiola signed the goalkeeper Claudio Bravo from Barcelona last August but the Chile international failed to impress and Willy Caballero was preferred at times. Caballero is among the players who have left City this summer.

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.