• This topic has 0 replies, 1 voice, and was last updated 1 month ago by Yomi.
Viewing 0 reply threads
  • Author
      Yomi
      Keymaster
      Topics: 2346
      Replies: 103

Inter Miami attacker Lionel Messi has revealed that he is not giving any thought to the possibility of retirement just yet.
      Still going strong for club and country at the age of 36, Messi called time on his glittering European career last summer to try his hand at MLS football, where he has unsurprisingly hit the ground running.

Messi has directly contributed to 23 goals in 19 matches for Inter Miami so far – 16 of his own and seven assists – helping the Herons capture the Leagues Cup during his first few months at the club.

The former Barcelona and Paris Saint-Germain star has already notched five goals in as many games during the 2024 season, although he missed Argentina’s March friendlies with El Salvador and Costa Rica due to a muscular injury.

It is unclear whether Messi’s issue will heal in time for him to be involved in Saturday’s MLS clash with New York City, but his advancing years and injury problems have naturally seen the retirement question arise.

The eight-time Ballon d’Or winner intends to lead Argentina during this year’s Copa America, though, while he has also left the door open to helping his country defend their World Cup crown in 2026.

During an interview with The Big Time Podcast, Messi affirmed that he will hang up his boots once his performance levels drop below his own standards, but he intends to continue on the pitch for a little while longer yet.

“I know that the moment I feel that I am no longer able to perform, that I no longer enjoy [playing] or [can] help my teammates, I will quit,” the Argentine said. “I’m very self-critical of myself, I know when I’m good, when I’m bad, when I’m playing well and when I’m playing badly.

“When I feel it’s time to take that step, I’ll take it without thinking about age. If I feel good, I’ll always try to keep competing because it’s what I like and I know how to do.

“I haven’t yet thought of what I’m going to do when I retire. Today I try to enjoy the day to day, the moments, without thinking about life after [football]. I’m not sure about anything yet.

“I hope to keep playing for a while longer, which is what I like to do. When the time comes, I will surely find a way to fulfil myself and do what I like, and [find] a new role.

“On a sporting level I was lucky enough to be able to achieve all my dreams and the truth is that I can’t ask for more. Thank God he gave me [everything] both professionally and on a human level, as well as my family, my friends. I try to enjoy everything God has given me so far, which is a lot.”

An extraordinary career for club and country has seen Messi become Barcelona and Argentina’s all-time leading goalscorer while winning an astounding 42 major team honours at senior level.

Messi’s Inter Miami side occupy second place in the MLS Eastern Conference with 10 points from six matches, just one below first-placed FC Cincinnati, albeit having played a game more.

Source: Sportsmole

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.