• This topic is empty.
Viewing 0 reply threads
  • Author
      Anonymous
      Inactive
      Topics: 3608
      Replies: 244

Gary Neville has been relieved of his duties as manager of Valencia, just four months after being hired at Mestalla.

Neville travelled back to Valencia from England on Wednesday morning after his managerial commitment with England and the announcement was made by the club within hours.

A statement from Valencia said that they had taken the decision to “rescind” Neville’s contract after analyzing the situation that the team find themselves in. Valencia sit 14th in the table, just six points clear of the relegation zone. They have won just 10 of the 28 games under him in all competitions this season, including three of 16 in the league. The club went out of the Champions League, Europa League and Copa del Rey on his watch.

Neville will be replaced by his assistant Pako Ayestaran, who joined the club in the middle of February.

A statement from Neville read: “I would like to thank Valencia football club, the fans, staff and the players. I would have liked to have continued the work I started but understand that we are in a results business and in the 28 games (W10, D7, L11) they have not been to my standards or to those which are required by this club.”

The most recent defeat, by Celta Vigo, prompted chants of “Gary, vete ya!” (Gary, go now!) in significant numbers for the first time. Neville said he would not resign but delayed his departure to join the England coaching team for the friendlies against Germany and Holland.

He was due to resume club duties with a match against Las Palmas, the team immediately below Valencia, on Saturday.

“Valencia have rescinded their contractual relationship with Gary Neville as coach of the first team today,” the club’s statement said. “After analysing carefully the sporting situation, the club decided to make this change in the best interests of Valencia Club de Fútbol with a view to the end of the current season.

“Valencia would like to thank Gary for his work and wishes him the best of luck in the future.”

Neville was a shock appointment by Valencia, whose owner, Peter Lim, is a friend and business partner of the former England international. Neville stepped down from his role as a pundit to take his first job as a No1 there.

Neville had privately accepted recently that he would not continue as Valencia coach next season, aware that he had not done enough to merit a new contract, but had expected to see out this campaign. Valencia have eight games remaining.

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.