Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Yomi
      Keymaster
      Topics: 2300
      Replies: 103

Sergio Ramos has ruled himself out of joining Real Madrid’s arch rival, Barcelona.

He also stated that intended to accept Real Madrid’s offer of a one-year extension but was told that he had run out of time.

The former Blancos captain will, as a result, leave the Santiago Bernabeu after 16 years of service in the famous white shirt.

The centre-back will continue to play football at the highest level but claims that he does not know which team he will represent next season.

Speaking at his farewell press conference, Ramos said: “The first thing I want to say is that I never wanted to leave. I wanted to stay here. The club offered me the possibility of extending my contract, but because of Covid, it was put on the back burner.

“The club made me a one-year offer with a salary reduction. I have to say that there was no economic problem. I wanted two years and peace of mind for me and my family.

“During the last talks, I accepted the one-year offer, but I was informed that it was no longer possible, that it had an expiration date and that I had not heard about it.”

He added on the specifics of the contract: “The conditions have changed several times, on their part and on ours.

“It got to a point where we had to make a decision but they never told me that the offer had an expiry date. It’s understandable but it surprised me, that the offer had expired.”

‘A person of integrity’
      Ramos leaves behind an incredible legacy in Madrid, the 35-year-old having won five La Liga titles, two Copas del Rey, four Supercopas de Espana, four Champions Leagues, three UEFA Super Cups and four Club World Cups.

“I’m one of those people who likes to be defined by others,” Ramos added. “If I had to use one word it would be purity. I have given my soul for this club. That’s how I want to be remembered, as a person of integrity.”

Relationship with Perez
      Despite the breakdown in communication over a contract extension, Ramos insists that he harbours no ill will towards club president Florentino Perez.

“My relationship with the president has always been good,” he said. “Like a father and son in sporting terms. He is the one who brought me here and I’ll never say a word against him. There are fights in families as well.”

Next destination
      “The important thing is not where you are, it’s with who,” the Spanish centre-back said of where he might end up next season. “We haven’t thought at any time about any other club. Since January, when I’ve been on the market, we’ve had a few calls.

“But we never thought about leaving Madrid. From here we’ll look for a good option for me.

“Sevilla is the other club in my heart where I had a great time but at the moment there is nothing on the table about going back. As for Barcelona… impossible. You will never see Sergio Ramos in a Barcelona shirt.”

Attachments:
      Anonymous
      Inactive
      Topics: 2
      Replies: 42

Nonsense! Like we want this grandpa in our team. What kind of value will he even offer? Wouldn’t accept him even if we don’t pay him a dime in salary or transfer.

Anonymous
      Inactive
      Topics: 0
      Replies: 58

Sergio Ramos has a choice as some players because not all football players does. Ramos is a football legend who has won all winnable in the round leather game. Ruling out a move to Camp Nou by Ramos shows how loyal he is to Real Madrid. He spent sixteen years at Santiago Bernabau and played a vital role in winning the la decima , La Liga and other trophies.
      However, if Ramos was to be another player , this would have been a pay back time for him to deal with Real Madrid. He wanted a two year contract and they offered him one year with a pay cut and he agreed. They are now saying his service is no longer needed . Players of Ramos status should not be treated like that. He is a legend.
      Moreover, not minding the way things had turn out, for him to rule out a potential move to Barcelona, Ramos needs to be applauded.
      He is a player with a different mindset.
      Real Madrid is known to a club that let his players to leave after sixteen years of active service. Raul and Casillas also let after sixteen years . Sergio Ramos is leaving after sixteen of meritorious service at the Santiago Bernabau stadium.
      Some football clubs across the four competitive leagues in Europe would be willing to offer Ramos two or three years contract may be not for his strength but for his experience about the round leather game.
      In time passed, we have seen players who swore allegiance to a particularly club and later changed their mind. Lius Suarez swore allegiance to Liverpool but later moved to Barcelona. Cesc Fabrigas swore allegiance to Arsenal FC but later moved to Barcelona to mention a few. Invariably, Sergio Ramos could have a rethink and accept an offer to put on a Barcelona jersey at the wake of tomorrow, possibly the offer comes.

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.